Philippines’ Public sector debt reaches ₱7.8 trillion pesos

The country's outstanding public sector debt (OPSD) rose in the first semester of the year to 7.83 trillion, equivalent to 70.2 percent of the economy, as measured by gross domestic product (GDP).

Data from the Department of Finance (DOF) showed the country's public sector debt ratio-to-GDP improved from 73.1 percent in the same period last year and 71.3 percent during the first three-months of this year.

The OPSD represents a nominal increase of 42.4 billion from the end March 2013 debt of 7.69 trillion, while total domestic debt of the public sector decreased by 23 billion from March 2013 to 5.52 trillion while foreign debt increased to 2.21 trillion.

Meanwhile, consolidated non-financial public sector debt was up by 4.8 percent quarter-on-quarter to 5.7 trillion, equivalent to 51.8 percent of GDP, in the second quarter.

The DOF attributed the increase in non-financial public sector debt on 169.8 billion increase in the obligation of the National Government, the Local Government Units (LGUs) and the increase in debt of both the domestic and foreign liabilities of the 14 major non-financial government corporations (MNFGCs).

The outstanding debt of the financial public corporations, however, declined by 2.7 percent to a level of 3.8 trillion.

Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) debt registered an decrease of 2.8 percent offset by a slight  increase of 0.1 percent in the debt of the Government Financial Institutions (GFIs) from March 2013 level. As of June 2013, 28.7 percent of the total consolidated outstanding public sector debt is owed to foreign creditors and the remaining 71.3 percent is owed to domestic creditors.

Likewise, the ratio of General Government (GG) debt to GDP increased to 39.2 percent from 38.5 percent as of March 2013, but lower than the 41.2 percent in the same quarter last year.

GG debt includes National Government with Bond Sinking Fund (BSF), the Central Bank-Board of Liquidators (CB-BOL), Social Security Institutions (SSIs) and the Local Government Units (LGUs) less intra-sector debt holdings. – Manila Bulletin

Share on Google Plus

About Webber

I am among of the writers and administrators of this web site. I always on the heads up when it comes to Sports, Politics, Economy, Business, Physics, Mathematics, Technology, computers and NEWS all over the world that triggers ny eyes and interests. I am working as a volunteer with other 14 administrators, researchers, writers and contributors. We are a strong solid team. Join us and be among of the contributor with your name on each posted article.

    Anonymous or Google Comment
    Facebook Comment

YOU MAY LIKE TO READ

LEARN FOREX TRADING AND GET RICH

Investment Recommendation: Bitcoin Investments

Live trading with Bitcoin through ETORO Trading platform would allow you to grow your $100 to $1,000 Dollars or more in just a day. Just learn how to trade and enjoy the windfall of profits. Take note, Bitcoin is more expensive than Gold now.


Where to buy Bitcoins?

For Philippine customers: You could buy Bitcoin Online at Coins.ph
For outside the Philippines customers  may buy Bitcoins online at Coinbase.com